How to deploy 5G: Best practices for infrastructure, regulation and business models
Operators around the world are building the next and 5th generation of mobile networks. 5G is clearly an evolution, and commercial products are combinations of 4G, 5G, NB-LTE and other technologies. While 5G promises a new technological revolution, there are major regulatory challenges to deploy networks and new business models.
Strand Consult’s survey of the past 20 years of building and operating mobile networks shows that conditions for mobile operators have gotten worse, not better, for operators. The process to erect a single mobile mast/antenna can take between 12-36 months and cost €150,000 – €350,000. Policymakers and local government want to copy-paste the tower paradigm to small cell networks, a development which would kill 5G in the cradle.
While operators are stepping up their investments in spectrum, infrastructure, and technology, consumers increasingly complain about mobile coverage. Demand for data has exploded but subscriber revenues have not kept pace. As such, operators need to take concerted steps to optimize the expected benefits and costs when they deploy 5G. Operators need to learn how to rollout infrastructure, to find partners for business models, and to address the regulatory challenges that impede its business.
Strand Consult’s “How to deploy 5G: Best practices for infrastructure, regulation and business models” helps operators save time and money. Based upon Strand Consult’s success to reduce cost and improve regulation for mobile infrastructure in Denmark, this report and workshop describes the 10-step process to get results. This engagement includes knowledge, training, and tools provided to operators over a 3 – 24 month period. We deliver a packet of:
• Save time, save money and improve the time it takes to deploy 5G networks
• Get access to tools there can change regulation
• Modular knowledge structure improves learning and retention
• Prepared by a team of experts
• Based on international experience
• Used by a number of international operators successfully
• Proven results
This program describes how to address the 5G deployment problems and challenges faced by operators, detailed action items on how to address deployment bottlenecks, and a timeline for results based on Strand Consult’s successful interventions. The goal for our customers is for them to
• Reduce the time and costs associated with establishing new infrastructure
• Change legislation in a number of areas (nationally and locally), making it easier to establish the new infrastructure
• Improve the way in which the staff at operators work together so that they get results, regardless of their department
• Improve the relationship with the telecom authorities
• Access a team of experts who have gotten results in this area for guidance on specific challenges
• Access international information and references that can be used locally.
• Get measurable results that can be translated into shareholder value.
National regulatory authorities have a crucial role to create overall policy and regulation, but rollout largely depends on local actors. Strand Consult’s project includes a series of interactive workshops, webinars and materials which provide instruction on how to engage with local leaders. Together we educate and empower mobile operators to change the operating conditions to their advantage.
In just 18 months, Strand Consult work catalyzed a complete reversal of the operating conditions for mobile infrastructure in Denmark. For the first time in some 20 years, the situation which was increasingly worsened, turned for the better. Today operators save millions of euros in annual rental fees; government processes for infrastructure deployment have become transparent; consumers enjoy better coverage from expanded infrastructure; and public opinion of mobile operators has improved.
Contact Strand Consult to see how you can take advantage of “How to deploy 5G: Best practices for infrastructure, regulation and business models.”